Sau đây mình xin được post cái class syllabus (mô tả mục đích, mô hình, và các chi tiết khác của lớp học) để các bạn tiện tham khảo.
A. First Meeting Agenda (12/7):
1. Introduction to class
- Purpose of this class: The main overall purpose of this class is to prepare you mentally for your first trip to America.
+ This class aims to improve your confidence in communicating in English. Communication is in various forms: speaking, listening, writing, reading. The main focus will be on speaking, but listening, writing and reading will also be introduced as practice. You will learn to improve these skills through various means, but most effectively through daily discussions on hot topics around the world. I will mainly choose topics about America, so this is also a way for you to learn more about American culture.
+ The second purpose of this class is to prepare you culturally for your time in America. Most Vietnamese students suffer cultural shock when they arrive. From here, there are 3 scenarios: some are already prepared and take no time adapting to the new life, some are not well prepared and spend the first 5-6 months feeling miserable and homesick, and finally some realize they will never be able to adapt and return to Vietnam. Needless to say, I would like for you to fall in the first category.
+ The third purpose of this class is to simply try to answer any question you might have about anything related to America: flying to America, studying, college, Obama, sports. Anything.
+ In summary, at the end of this course, you will be mentally prepared so that you don’t have to waste half a year feeling left out and homesick and think that America is not worth it. I assure that America is well worth the money you are spending, you just have to be prepared to adapt, and I strongly believe that the best way to adapt is through language and culture.
- A few rules:
+ Most of discussion in class will be in English. You will need to be constantly engaged and active in group discussions.
+ I may or may not stop you at anytime during your speech if I feel that there is something I need to correct. One thing is for sure: I will correct every mistake.
+ You MUST stop me at anytime if there’s a word you don’t understand, couldn’t hear, or don’t know how to pronounce or spell. Do not let a word pass by without fully mastering it first.
+ Think of me as a friend or mentor trying to help. I don’t like to be thought of as a teacher or anything like that, therefore, I am in no way superior to any of you.
+ You must have a sense of humor. Also, eat before you come to class because I don’t give out snacks. =)
- Schedule: Monday night (7h-9h), Thursday and Saturday morning (8:30-10:30). If you miss a class, you don’t have to pay, but you also have the option to make up the hours either in class or via skype.
- Location: My house. 28 Linh Lang, Ba Dinh, Hanoi.
- Fee: 80k /hour =>160k/day.
----------------------------- Tự động gộp bài viết ---------------------------
B. CLASS FORMAT
The class format will be very similar to a class session in an American school.
1. Quick casual chat (20 min) about anything in English. This is to acquaint you with casual conversation that you might have with friends or professors.
2. Discussion (60 min): Talk about a chosen serious topic. Raise ideas to brainstorm. Short individual presentation.***
3. Watch an interesting video (20 min). Discuss. Take notes of words you want to learn.
4. Questions about anything. (20 min)
*** Your homework for each class will be a few assigned readings to prepare for next class’s topic. In addition, each week you will choose one of the topics discussed in class and write a short essay (400-500 words) based on your presentation in class. You will submit the essay via email 3 days after the discussion of the topic at the latest.
C. WHAT WILL WE TALK ABOUT
I would like for you to think about this model: YOU – YOUR COUNTRY – YOUR WORLD.
Essentially, everything we talk about are topics that you might encounter in a conversation in the future in America. Be prepared. You can approach each topic in a different way, but essentially, you should revolve your arguments around these 3 models. For a topic, you will discuss how you feel about it, how your country feels, and what the general world feel about it.
How are a few topics as an example:
1. Gay marriage. Should it be allowed?
2. World Economy. What happened? What’s the way out?
3. Vietnam- China relationship. What should Vietnam do? Why is China acting this way?
4. Environment. Global warming. What is happening? What should we do to slow it down?
5. Motivation. What motivates you? Self-motivation or outside forces?
6. Education. American vs. Vietnamese system? Are you satisfied?
7. Beauty. Inner beauty or appearance? What’s more important?
8. Male or female? What are the advantages/disadvantages of being male/female?
9. America. What is the American dream? Have people achieved these dreams?
10. Problem solving: Help one of the group members solve an problem.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST! HOPE I WILL GET TO SEE YOU ALL IN CLASS.