1. Tuyển Mod quản lý diễn đàn. Các thành viên xem chi tiết tại đây

Developing word attack skills

Chủ đề trong 'Anh (English Club)' bởi Nha`que^, 22/05/2001.

1. 1 người đang xem box này (Thành viên: 0, Khách: 1)
  1. Nha`que^

Nha`que^ Thành viên quen thuộc

Tham gia ngày:
    20/02/2001
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    DEVELOPING WORD ATTACK SKILLS

When readers find an unfamiliar word in a sentence. They are sometimes able to determine its meaning by reading the other words in the sentence. The other words give the context that allows readers to make an educated guess about the meaning of an unfamiliar word. In this part, you will learn how to determine the meaning of a word by studying its parts.
    Many English words consist of more than one part. Let's examine three important parts you should know in order to improve your vocabulary.

Word Roots

Many words in English contain Latin and Greek roots. These roots convey the basic meaning of the word and they occur repeatedly throughout the language. Knowing these roots will help you determine the meaning of words with which you are not familiar. Below is a list of common roots amid their general meanings.
    Learning these roots will help you recognize the basic meaning of hundreds of English words. Let's look at the word manufacture. Manufacture is a combination of two root words, manu and fact. Using the list of roots, we can see that manu means "hand" and fact means "make" or do. Therefore, we can infer the meaning "make by hand."
    Let's look at another example, biography. Again, using the list of roots, we see that bio means 'life" and graph means "write." Therefore, we can conclude that the word biography relates to the "writing of a life," or the written story of a person's life.
    ------------------
    Nha` que^'s note: This is a very interesting part of the book I want to let you read, but my scanner doesn't work properly translating from scanned photos to real words - characters, plus I don't want to type the whole long thing on my computer for hours. There is still a lot left. If anyone has any idea or pleases to read it, then tell me, we'll figure out the way to make this work.

Chân đất mắt sáng
  2. shinesonme

shinesonme Thành viên quen thuộc

Tham gia ngày:
    17/05/2001
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Thank you so much. Based on what you gave us, I start gradually opening my mind. There's no doubt I have successfully digested your ideas. I have inferred something from your conclusion. For example, the word 'understand' comprises the two words: under and stand. It means that when you tend to swallow someone's idea, you have to stand under them, take a look up to their face, open your mouth and..that is...you have understood!!! Is that right?
    -----
    I can see your smiles
    shining down on me
    -----

Chia sẻ trang này