1. Tuyển Mod quản lý diễn đàn. Các thành viên xem chi tiết tại đây

Tiền thân của CLB tiếng Anh Sài Gòn(những ngày còn "định cư " tại HCMCC)

Chủ đề trong 'Câu lạc bộ Tiếng Anh Sài Gòn (Saigon English Club)' bởi dirosemimi, 04/03/2002.

1. 1 người đang xem box này (Thành viên: 0, Khách: 1)
  1. dirosemimi

dirosemimi Thành viên quen thuộc

Tham gia ngày:
    22/09/2001
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Discuss GoBlue's topic:
    I also think the way that Vietnamese distinguish "University" and " College" is nothing. It's so confused. However , my college paid attention to this problem and we have been reminding our students about our name " College of Social Sciences and Humanities " .
    But, you know, The National University just includes 3 members at present : The Polytechnic Uni, The Natural Sciences Uni, and the College of Social Sciences and Humanities.

Dirosemimi
  2. GoBlue

GoBlue Thành viên quen thuộc

Tham gia ngày:
    19/03/2002
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    to Diro.."In a pig's eye" means that something very unlikely happens (rarely) ...doesn't it?
    anyway.....what does it mean by " when a pig flies" (this is my riddle) ..
    To EC members (keep continuing with "University topic"): How're we gonna translate word "Cao Đa(?ng" into English ( Nhu truong CDSP TPHCM) ? Any idea....buddies
    Goblue....blue
  3. Quanbanh97202

Quanbanh97202 Thành viên quen thuộc

Tham gia ngày:
    10/03/2002
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Cao Đẳng = College
    As my knowledge, in the US, it only takes students 2 years to graduate a college while it takes students 4 years to graduate an university. Of course, the education levels the university students recieve are usually higher than the college students'. That fact happens just like our college system running in VN; the different between education level in Cao Đẳng and Đại Học. In fact, there many community collleges in the US, which are such the same organizations with the "Cao Đẳng" in VN. That's all I know. Sorry if that's not correct.
    Được sửa chữa bởi - quanbanh97202 vào 01/04/2002 09:20
  4. dirosemimi

Tham gia ngày:
    22/09/2001
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    To GoBlue : I think that you understood my idiom , but your explanation is not clear. Could you tell me more about this riddle? And about your riddle , huhu, I'm lost...., huhu, help...help....me plz.!

Dirosemimi
  5. GoBlue

GoBlue Thành viên quen thuộc

Tham gia ngày:
    19/03/2002
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    To quanbanh:
    in fact, the level of college and university aren't different...there are a lot of colleges offer 4 years degree in U.S. such as hope college (hope.edu) or albion college (albion.edu). Courses that you take at college can transfer to university as well as the ones you take in university. the University is just an integration of colleges....
    So, "Cao Dang " should name by " school ( such as school of education ) For one thing, the term "cao dang " refers to an institution that has fewer departments and these departments should relate to one main purpose (for instance: education ).in Vietnam, "Cao dang" doesn't have a lot of fields of study;its fields of study mainly indicate by its name already...such as marketing, information technology,.... in general, people call such institutions "school" , not "college". this explains why people call medical school instead of medical university regardless how big is that...second, college has more departments and broader in fields of study compare to school.... it can have very different fields and departments.....thus "Cao dang " can't be called college....
    Nonetheless, I'm not 100 % positive about above translation, as far as I know....school is best fit for "cao dang" ...what ya think?
    to Di: Dan got highest mark on his math test "in a pig's eye" mean the fact Dan for the highest mark in the math exam is very very very unlikely to happen in the past. Other words, either this test was extremely difficult or students usually do well on their math test. it is right? Di
    My riddle ( what " when a pig flies" means ? ) have something to do with your riddle...check it again...and tell us what ya think?
    Goblue
    Được sửa chữa bởi - goblue vào 02/04/2002 07:16
  6. dirosemimi

Tham gia ngày:
    22/09/2001
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    In fact, " in a pig's eye " means you do not believe in something that someone has said. Ya, maybe , you're right,...unlikely to happen in the past....nearly right . Anyway, 5 stars for U. Cheers !
    Discuss GoBlue's topic :
    I aggree with you, your argument is so cohesive and reasonable. But Vietnamese Education is different from the US Education. In the US, there are a lot of huge universities which have so many colleges inside. But if we base on American standard of university to estimate Vietnamese universties, our country just has 2 universites : Hanoi National Uni and HCM National Uni ! Could U accept - a country with 2 Universities ?
    Futhermore , how can we call private "universites" such as
    " Huflit " or " Hung Vuong " ? school? college? or uni? Remember, they also have a lot of departments .

Dirosemimi
  7. dirosemimi

Tham gia ngày:
    22/09/2001
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    I would like to invite all of you to come to our English Speaking CLub - the co-operation of HCMC English Club and the English Speaking Club of the Department of Industrial Management ( the Polytechnic University )
    Place : The Polytechnic Uni ( room B10)
    Date : April 6 ( Saturday)
    Time : 2.30 P.M

This is the topic :
    Tell me what your sign is! And I'll tell who you are.
    ( HOROSCOPE)
    If you are living in Asia especially in countries or communities whose values are deeply influenced by Chinese culture, you must be one of these twelve 'animals': Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, and Pig. However, if you were a Westerner or an American, you would also be one of the twelve ... sun signs, not animals: Aquarius, Aries, Cancer, Capricorn, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Pisces, Sagittarius, Scorpio, Taurus, and Virgo.
    The main difference between the sun signs of the West and the animals of the East is the period of time when you were born. For example, if you were born in 1983-the year of the Pig-then you are a 'pig'. And someone who had been born one year earlier i.e 1982 is called a 'dog'. But the legend does not stop there. If your birth date falls between January 20 and February 18, you are an Aquarius in the Western eyes. And in the same year, if you were born between May 21 and June 21, you are called a Gemini. *****m up, the lunar year decides what animal you are. And the period of time in a year where your birthdate date falls decides your sun sign. So a person is both an animal and a sun sign .
    And that is what astrology means. It is the study of how events on earth correspond to the positions and movements of astronomical bodies, particularly the sun, moon, planets, and stars. Astrologers believe that the position of astronomical bodies at the exact moment of a person's birth and the subsequent movements of the bodies reflect that person's character and, therefore, destiny. They create charts called horoscopes, which map the position of astronomical bodies at certain times, such as when a person is born. Astrology is an ancient practice that different civilizations seemed to develop independently. The Chaldeans, who lived in Babylonia (now Iraq), developed one of the original forms of astrology as early as 3000 BC. The Chinese were practicing astrology by 2000 BC. Other varieties formed in ancient India and among the Maya of central America. These people may have observed that certain astronomical bodies, particularly the sun, affected the change of seasons and the success of crops. Based on such observations, they may have developed a broader system by which the movements of other bodies such as the planets affected or represented ad***ional aspects of life.
    By the 500s BC, astrology had spread to Greece, where such philosophers as Pythagoras and Plato incorporated it into their study of religion and astronomy. Astrology was widely practiced in Europe through the middle ages, despite the condemnation of such Christian leaders as Augustine, who became archbishop of Canterbury about AD 600. Many scholars viewed astrology and astronomy as complementary sciences until about the 1500s. At that time, the discoveries made by such astronomers as Nicolaus Copernicus and Galileo Galilei undermined some of the foundations of astrology. Since then, few scientists have accepted astrology as a science.
    If you are living in Asia especially in countries or communities whose values are deeply influenced by Chinese culture, you must be one of these twelve 'animals': Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, and Pig. However, if you were a Westerner or an American, you would also be one of the twelve ... sun signs, not animals: Aquarius, Aries, Cancer, Capricorn, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Pisces, Sagittarius, Scorpio, Taurus, and Virgo.
    The main difference between the sun signs of the West and the animals of the East is the period of time when you were born. For example, if you were born in 1983-the year of the Pig-then you are a 'pig'. And someone who had been born one year earlier i.e 1982 is called a 'dog'. But the legend does not stop there. If your birth date falls between January 20 and February 18, you are an Aquarius in the Western eyes. And in the same year, if you were born between May 21 and June 21, you are called a Gemini. *****m up, the lunar year decides what animal you are. And the period of time in a year where your birthdate date falls decides your sun sign. So a person is both an animal and a sun sign .
    And that is what astrology means. It is the study of how events on earth correspond to the positions and movements of astronomical bodies, particularly the sun, moon, planets, and stars. Astrologers believe that the position of astronomical bodies at the exact moment of a person's birth and the subsequent movements of the bodies reflect that person's character and, therefore, destiny. They create charts called horoscopes, which map the position of astronomical bodies at certain times, such as when a person is born. Astrology is an ancient practice that different civilizations seemed to develop independently. The Chaldeans, who lived in Babylonia (now Iraq), developed one of the original forms of astrology as early as 3000 BC. The Chinese were practicing astrology by 2000 BC. Other varieties formed in ancient India and among the Maya of central America. These people may have observed that certain astronomical bodies, particularly the sun, affected the change of seasons and the success of crops. Based on such observations, they may have developed a broader system by which the movements of other bodies such as the planets affected or represented ad***ional aspects of life.
    By the 500s BC, astrology had spread to Greece, where such philosophers as Pythagoras and Plato incorporated it into their study of religion and astronomy. Astrology was widely practiced in Europe through the middle ages, despite the condemnation of such Christian leaders as Augustine, who became archbishop of Canterbury about AD 600. Many scholars viewed astrology and astronomy as complementary sciences until about the 1500s. At that time, the discoveries made by such astronomers as Nicolaus Copernicus and Galileo Galilei undermined some of the foundations of astrology. Since then, few scientists have accepted astrology as a science.
    WELCOME, WELCOME , MATES

[​IMG]

Dirosemimi

Được sửa chữa bởi - dirosemimi vào 02/04/2002 15:13
    Được sửa chữa bởi - whisper vào 02/04/2002 23:16
  8. hcn8295

hcn8295 Thành viên mới

Tham gia ngày:
    21/03/2002
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Hi Dirosemini! for your English speaking group topic in this coming Saturday ( April 6, 02) " HOROSCOPE",
    What do you see the beneficial to the people who want to anticipate ?( I mean what are we learn from this.)
    And who will be the facilitate for the meeting?
    Can we change it to some thing more realistic or relevant? More relate to our school or our life?
    Just the though! do not wory about it! Thanks
    hieunguyen
  9. ringring

ringring Thành viên mới

Tham gia ngày:
    09/01/2002
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    Troi oi! dugn la club tieng anh .Khong tim ra mot chu vn nao het
    EM tham gia duco o vay?????
    Tham gia cllub tieng ANh thi dieu kien bat buoc la gioi tieng anh thoi sao??
    the neu tieng anh cua em khong sieu dnag ,nhung em lai thich mon hoc nay thi sao day????
    chang le cu ngoi o ngoai nhin anh chi noi chuyen voi nhau mai sao??toi nghiep cho em qua ??:-)(

Ta la mot ,la rieng, la thu nhat
  10. javel

javel Thành viên rất tích cực

Tham gia ngày:
    20/03/2002
    Bài viết:
    Đã được thích:
    sorry, i don't know what you say, i'm a foreigner, can you speak English...............(just for fun)
    mình nghĩ là câu lạc bộ tiếng Anh là để giúp chúng ta nâng cao kiến thức, chứ đâu có phân biệt tài năng, những người giỏi giúp đỡ những người yếu thành giỏi, mình cũng nói tiếng Anh dở lắm, nhưng mà mục đích của một câu lạc bộ là giúp mọi người cùng tiến lên mà.
    bye. see you on saturday afternoon
    Nothing is imposible

Chia sẻ trang này